Monday, April 11, 2011

Limiting Beliefs Part Two: Second Belief Squashed

For those of you who read the first part of this post (Limiting Beliefs: Squash them!) you will know what is coming and for those who did not, I have been teaching myself to draw for the last few days.

Was it a success? 
(You can be the judge...)
Drawing is definately harder and I knew it would be from the start.  I have to admit that I chose easy things, not a lion chasing a squirrel or a car turning a bend.  Those of you who have watched me draw before know that I doodle like a child and stick to the same floral pattern over and over.  I can draw a cat and it looks like the same one I drew when I was seven years old.  My goal here was to draw something new in a style I had not tried and most importantly to not give up.

I almost gave in, I got frustrated with the lines and the perspective and the angles and the pencil.  But, this time I kept on, the rubber was my ally and together we corrected again and again.  I learnt that the rubber is a tool in itself, allowing you to shape new lines and curves.  You can use your finger to smudge and blur the shading, a pleasingly forgiving technique, 'yeah smudge it up a goodun', that looks better.'

I shall keep this post brief, but I urge you to challenge something you thought you could not do this week.  I for one am addicted to changing my belief system now.  I am looking for new challenges and searching the way I think.  I notice ways in which I block myself from doing something, or observe ways I put myself down without realising, limiting myself with shadows from the past which no longer serve me.

If you could see yourself through my eyes then you would realise that you are perfect and capable just as you are.  There is nothing you cannot do, merely things you think you cannot.  The challenge is to break through your most intimate negative beliefs and be honest with yourself. 

Good Luck.

Josie


I call this, 'Started as a Circle'.  It is devoted to Nick.


Inspired by a painting in Kai's Shop.


Copied from Memory, a drawing seen in June's 'Art Cafe' Koh Samui
(Kai helped me work out the perspective on a bird cage)




2 comments:

  1. I love this Josie. I love that you are trying out new things and have given drawing a go. You are really very good, but then I expected nothing less. I've always loved drawing, and most of it is making those mistakes and spending the time on making the changes to an image until it looks the way it does in your head. I love that sometimes it doesn't quite go that way and you can end up with something unexpected, something even better. It's addictive, and satisfying. Maybe when you're home we can sit and draw together. I love 'Started as a Circle'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad it made it to your house at last! :)

    ReplyDelete