Friday, August 17, 2012

I feel tired all the time. How can I get more energy?

Here are some familiar stories that you may connect to...

-I find it hard to wake up.

-I feel tired mid-morning. 

-I find it hard to focus.

-I wish I could go back to bed.

-I find my thoughts are racing or hard to keep track of.

-I dream of closing my eyes and sleeping instead of getting off the tube?

-I rely on coffee and tea to get me through the day?

-I feel SO irritable, especially when I get asked to do things!

-I crave chocolate and sweet foods to give me a lift?


If this sounds familiar, you need to make some changes to get that spring back in your step!  Life will feel much more fun if you do! :)

Feeling tired on waking and feeling sluggish throughout the day is a very common theme for nutritional advisors and therapists.  Almost everyone experiences periods of fatigue when they are stressed, simply have too much on (or had a big night out!).  However, a lot of people seem to feel their energy is low all the time, or only good at one point in the day.  This is not how our bodies should feel and it is certainly not fun!

Here are my five top tips that you can start today...

1. Balance blood sugar. 

This is probably the biggest problem in the West.  Simple carbohydrates act like sugar in the blood.  White bread, white rice, white pasta, white flour goods, fruit, added sugars, chocolate, honey...ALL of it is going to escalate your blood sugar whether it is natural or not.  Avoid having a meal which is not balanced with protein.  If you are eating fruit, which of course you should, then have it with some nuts and seeds to balance the snack.

2. Reduce stress.

This is a terrible one for fatigue.  When we are stressed we release cortisol and adrenaline into the body; this uses up our supplies of essential nutrients and makes us feel wired and tired.  It also releases high levels of glucose into our blood which we often don't use, so store it on our tummies! uh oh!

3. Eat more essential fatty acids.

These wonderful fatty acids are tremendously good for us.  Omega 3 and omega 6 from good sources are great for releasing stored fat from our cells, increasing our energy levels and increasing our brains ability to function and cope with day to day life as well as reducing inflammation.  Natural sources include oily fish such as salmon and mackerel (2-3 times a week), flax, borage and evening primrose oils.

4. Make time to relax...not sleep..relax!

Taking time to walk in nature, meditate, sing, dance and laugh (whatever it is that makes you feel relaxed) is so vital to our ability to deal with stress and feel energised.  Dashing from one place to another, straight from work to meet a friend or directly to the pub without getting dinner is a really bad idea if you are already tired.  Try to make time to do what you love, it will increase your natural reserves of energy by making you feel peaceful and connected to yourself (this is when we are quiet enough to realise how we really feel).

5. Cut down on caffeine.

I know this is an unpopular reality, and yes, some caffeine will be ok.  One or two cups is usually tolerable.  But if you read again why stress is bad for you?  Caffeine does the same.  It creates the stress response in the body and keeps you going on a  false high while the rest of your body's systems work double time without replenishing themselves.  If you NEED coffee, then you need to try and do a day without it, if you can't, then the addiction could be damaging your energy levels.  Try to do a weekend without caffeine, see how you feel...


Best of luck with your energy levels and remember, you simply cannot do everything.  Sometimes you simply need...to...stop! :)

Josie.


Was this useful?  Like My facebook page... :)


No comments:

Post a Comment