Sunday, January 20, 2013

Which Supplements Should I Take? There are so many!

There is so much hype around health today and supplements are at the forefront.  Ideally we would all eat organic, plump fruit and vegetables from our gardens which are full of all the nutrients we need.  But sadly food storage and farming means that our foods are often depleted and lacking in the vital nutrients that we depend on for good health.  So, supplements are necessary in almost all modern lives.  There seem to be so many supplements and nutrients and when you go to the health food shop it feels like you need all of them.  

"Oooh, one for skin, and nails!  I should take this one for my immune system?  Oh, ok.  I really need my brain function improved and must protect my eyes from future damage.  Blimey, I have not given any thought to my digestion, so I had better take this tincture.  Most importantly I should take that in case I get that... "  and on it goes.

If you took them all then you would be late for work every morning.  So, which ones should you really take everyday?  

When you think about supplements your first thought should be, am I well?  If you are, then you just need a few staples.  If you are unwell and want to use natural methods, then the best mode of action is to visit a naturopathic nutritional therapist to get dietary recommendations and a list of supplements that would suit you perfectly.  

If you are well and just want to boost your energy levels and feel your best, then here are my five top recommendations.

1.  Multivitamin.  A high quality multivitamin with a full range B-vitamin Complex included is a great idea.  This will keep you going everyday and keep you balanced at times when your diet may be lacking.

2.  Vitamin C.  There are over 200 functions in the body dependent on this vital antioxidant.  1000 mg daily in a slow release supplement may be a great way to support your body through the stresses and strains of the day.

3.  Essential Fatty Acids.  It is so important to keep your body topped up with essential fatty acids, they maintain your cell membrane health and help keep inflammation at bay.

4.  Super Food Powders.  A superfood powder such as Spirulina or wheatgrass is a lovely rounded way of supporting your system.  Putting  a teaspoon in a green smoothie each day is a fabulous gift for your body.

5.  Probiotic.  Your gut is the epicentre of your health.  If it is out of balance then your whole system will find it impossible to function well.  A probiotic is a great way to help your gut stay in balance.

Supplements can seem expensive, but good quality ones are a great investment.  Lamberts, Higher Nature and Nutri are all brands I highly recommend.


Enjoy being well.

Josie.
Was this useful?  Like My facebook page... :)


No comments:

Post a Comment